Saturday, June 2, 2018

Solo the Orginal Space Cowboy

I not gonna qualify my opinion and go on and on about what about the original trilogy meant to me. Okay I am.
     I seems to be a requirement for a Solo review. I was born in 1979 and I don't know of a world without STAR WARS. But I truly don't remember watching the movies as a kid. But it was in the air and apart of life. I do remember watching all of the prequels in the theater with various degrees of boredom. The only thing I loved was the fight  between Anakin and Obi-wan at the end of Clone Wars. I didn't really watch the originals until my son was 6 or 7 and would watch all 3 over and over when I bought as set from target on a whim. He loved those damn movie. My dad watched him while I was at work and he let him play them all day until I got home. On my days off I refused to put them on but one day I relented and sat down and watched with him. They were good but I wasn't blown away. Mostly I was confused at to how bitch ass Anakin and bad ass Darth Vader was the same dude.  And I did notice the weird unnecessary digital updates.  And in spite of having no attachment to the prequels I was happy that I got to take my son to see Episode 1 The Phantom Menace for his 1st time when they re released in theaters in 2012. He loved the pod racing. His mind was blown. He was 8, so don't judge him. But watching him watch it, that was everything. Up their with him meeting Minnie Mouse at Disneyland when he was 5. And of course I was then forced to buy him all the prequels and they immediately went in the rotation with the original trilogy.
     So I guess you can say I was never STAR WARS fangirl. More like a fanMom raising a fanboy. A pure fanboy with nothing but love for all 6 flims. His love for the films and character's is all I cared about. I've bought the t-shirts, toys, and Halloween costumes. And we when news of new STAR WARS movie were coming he was overjoyed and I was so happy and excited about taking him to see them. And yeah he had the Kylo Ren costume the Halloween before The Force Awakens was even out.  (Force Awakens A+, The LAST JEDI B and Rogue One B)

     But when we heard of Solo we weren't that excited and the trailer didn't look all the great. Who the fuck wanted  a HAN Solo movie? Ewan McGregor is still young so we all just knew he would get a stand alone Obi-wan movie for sure.

     Man, I haven't even started to review this damn thing. My bad. It's just a stupid forgettable space cowboy movie about the orignial OG space cowboy. They didn't need to make it and its so disrespectful to the fans. Yes I loved Donald Glovers's Lando and his civil rights fighter droid L-3 but that's about it. We saw it in a damn near empty Memorial Day weekend. And frankly I'm happy it didn't make the money  they expected. I hope to God they take this as a lesson that you can't just slap STAR WARS on something people come running. A lot of people are attributing this to The LAST JEDI being a disappointment to "diehard" fans. But I think not.  How did they expect people to watch and love a character for 40 years and then give them a cheap imitation. Harrison Ford is Han Solo, period. If they just had to make this film they need a actor that would basically do a spot on Harrison Ford impersonation at the very least. This Alden Ehrenreich was amazeballs in Hail, Caesar but in Solo he was just there. If this wasn't STAR WARS connected and his character had different name, it more than like I wouldn't have seen it until it came out at Redbox and I would have scrolled IG the whole time. I dare say it would have made half of what it did. It was just one forgettable scene to the next scene to the next and call backs to things he said before. Not very ambitious but safe and impersonal. So many character died as soon as they were introduced. So we never got connected and their death had no weight.

Sometime I wonder to these film makers ever watch all the originals before they work on the new films bc it don't seem like they do. They're so disconnected. Hell TLJ is disconnected from TFA the film right before it. Hopefully this will force them to take a better look at the whole SW universe. Maybe learn from Marvel and get a game plan together. This movie was serviceable but a serviceable movie for a Iconic film character as Han Solo it's a slap in the face. Especially for FanMom that's been paying into the STAR WARS  machine for years. Even if they spent my hard earned money on a CGI Han and paid Ford a fortune to just voice it would have been light years better and still not good enough. C-

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE FLASH 2023 finally arrives about 5 years too late

THE FLASH 2023 6/10 The movie that should have came out between Batman v. Superman and the Justice League movie. Like MOS and a stand alone ...